We all know that we are in an unprecedented, difficult time. But it is not the time for any local government worker to be stood down or let go.
Local government workers form an essential part of community support and deliver a wide range of essential services.
You are at the frontline during national disasters, and in the aftermath, always the first to provide the support that is required. There is no more shining example of this than during the recent bushfires.
We have been extremely concerned that local government workers who are there for their communities are now being left out in the cold.
This is why we are calling on the Federal Government to take urgent action to secure local government jobs and support to communities. Will you contact your local MP and ask for their support?
We have written to the Prime Minister and State Government to ask for urgent assistance to keep all local council workers in paid employment throughout this crisis.
You can find your local member’s contact details here – just enter your postcode or electorate to find your local Federal MP and Senators to contact.
We are calling for the following:
- A Federal Government direction to local councils to retain all current full-time, part time and casual employees, and if necessary, train and redeploy staff to sectors where support is needed in response to COVID-19;
- An urgent stimulus package to Local Government;
- A review of the decision to leave Councils out of the JobKeeper arrangements;
- Financial assistance, access to funding and grant variations to enable councils to focus on supporting their communities and preserving jobs through this crisis;
- Where rate relief is contemplated or implemented, the Government should fund councils to ensure there is no loss in revenue that goes towards councils delivering support to their communities, during the crisis and recovery stages.
It is critical that Councils have sufficient funding to retain their workforce to deliver the essential services needed as we get through, and recover from, COVID-19 and its massive impacts on people and our local communities.
We want you to know that we are doing everything we can to keep people in jobs and to support all of our members throughout this difficult time.
If you need assistance or have any questions about our call for urgent support for local government jobs – please contact us on 1300 136 604.