Another successful USU Conference was held last week – with over 150 branch delegates from across NSW and the ACT gathering at Gymea Tradies Club to work together to determine the future priorities for our union.
Some of the highlights of conference are included here. There will be more in our next edition of United magazine.
- JANE MERCADES-HART, Metropolitan Salaried Officers’ Branch
- DARREN BRENNAN, Southern Branch
- ALF PACE, Sydney Branch
- JAMES O’MALLEY, North Western Branch
- STEVE THOMAS, Newcastle Branch
- BRETT CAMERON, New England Branch
- CHRIS SMITH, Newcastle Branch
|BRANCH||TYPE OF AWARD & WHO TO||WHICH JURISDICTION|
|Energy & Utilities||Certificate of Merit for Malcolm Noack||STATE|
|Central West||Certificate of Merit – John “Jack” Cleary||STATE|
|Central West||Life Membership – James “Jimmy” Barrott||STATE|
|Energy & Utilities||Life Membership for Max Thomas||STATE|
|Energy & Utilities||Life Membership for Don Savage||STATE|
|Energy & Utilities||Life Membership for Paul Marzato||STATE & FEDERAL|
|Energy & Utilities||Life Membership for Mark Gill||STATE & FEDERAL|
|Energy & Utilities||Life Membership for Peter Hull||STATE|
|Newcastle||Life Membership for Robert Giuliano||STATE|
|Newcastle||Life Membership - Stephen Goodbun||STATE|
|Newcastle||That James Binks be awarded Life Membership||STATE|
|Northern||Life Membership - Mr Warren Watts||STATE|
|Northern||Life Membership - Neil Hayward||STATE|
|Metropolitan Salaried Officers'||Life Membership – Jim Montague||STATE & FEDERAL|
The 2016 Mentor of the Year and Apprentice of the Year were named.
The Mentor of the Year, Brett Wyborn (who unfortunately could not attend) is from Cessnock City Council
The Apprentice of the year, Corey Ward from Central Coast Council was present to receive his award.
During the Conference, the Delegates enjoyed several educational presentations and participated in workshops on various topics. The program was aimed at giving as much information and relevant tools as possible to the Delegates to use in their roles back in their workplaces.
- Delegates rights Workshops (State & Federal)
- Mental Health and Wellbeing for Delegates Workshop
- How to use Digital and Social Media Workshop
- Code of Conduct and How to Report Breaches Presentation (State)
- Local Government (State) Award Update
- Energy, Utilities and Private Sector presentation on The Aurizon Decision, County Councils – The Next Baird Target? And what’s in it for me? – Organising Younger Workers
- Interest Based Bargaining Presentation
- Organising for Growth Workshop
- Superannuation Presentations
- Launch of the report “Giving Local Government the Reboot”
- What we need to know about Asbestos Presentation
- Recruitment Workshop incorporating a Presentation on how the Union’s membership system works in regard to mapping.
- Lessons from Liverpool.