As the COVID-19 outbreak disrupts our communities, families, and workplaces, the Union is more important than ever. We’re standing shoulder to shoulder with our members in facing uncertainty in our community. One thing we are sure of is that we are stronger together. The USU is, and will continue to be, by your side.
Please know the USU has moved most of our administration staff to working remotely, in a bid to do our part to help limit staff’s exposure, and the possible spread of the virus. While our working arrangements are changing, we will continue to provide assistance to our members as this crisis continues. We are still answering phones, emails, and providing the workplace support you expect.
The situation changes on a daily – or hourly – basis. We want to make sure you are aware of your rights.
- The Union is continuing to operate during this crisis.
- Field Organisers will continue to make site visits where this is possible, but when doing so they will be exercising common sense when interacting with members and other staff. This means that mass meetings may be deferred and some in-person meetings will be conducted by teleconference or rescheduled.
- All Union officials (including our Support Team and Membership teams) remain contactable by telephone and email, and we anticipate little to no disruption to these services.
- Our officials are engaging with your employers to help address some of the workplace issues that this crisis is presenting our members with and if you have a question or need advice please contact your local Delegate or Organiser.
- This is an evolving situation and the Union will continue to act on advice provided by Government health authorities and we will keep you updated as needed.
We understand that each workplace is unique. If you need assistance please contact your USU Delegate or Official or contact our Support Team on 1300 136 604. You can also contact us by email here.
Resources to help you
The ACTU has set up a COVID-19: Workers’ Rights Resource Centre. These resources will help Australian workers receive up to date information of what is happening. Australian Unions are also calling for the Government to provide two weeks paid special leave to help all workers affected by COVID-19 – please sign the petition by clicking on the link below.