Bargaining has formally begun for the Members of Parliament Staff EA and the USU/ASU has hit the ground running, logging our first two stages of bargaining claims.
Claims that range from:
- a decent pay rise;
- allowing staff to get access to a competency assessment earlier;
- a decent retention payment;
- access to higher duties allowance after only a week ‘acting up’;
- support for personal development and data;
- tackling ESA and all those additional hours; and
- ensuring our superannuation does not go backwards only forwards.
But our biggest, boldest claim is to finally tackle the gross underpayment of MOPS staff compared to our Commonwealth Public servant cousins. Did you know that our Electorate Officer A are only paid the same as one of the lowest ranges in the public service, despite being a critical part of democracy and our parliamentary process. Our argument is pretty simple, just pay MOPS staff at the same level and capability of the public service.
And there will be more claims to come. We have to really get ready to fight for proper re-structure of our salary and the conditions.
The USU also plans to introduce claims making access to parental leave fairer as well as the insertion of a Family Violence Leave clause.
If you have questions about your EA or joining your Union please contact USU Organisers Mick Jones 0450 020 589 or Poni Ravula 0459 060 804 or speak with your USU EA Staff representative Bryce Wilson from Dave Smith’s Office.
There has never been a more important time to Join Your Union.